It’s Monday and to help you all start your week of right I thought I’d give you some good reasons to get you to the gym (or to train at home which works as well)
Theres no secret that I’m a huge proponent of weight training, but I know not everyone is as hooked on it as I am.
I know a lot of people who find lifting weights “boring” and there fore not doing it. I say, you might not be doing it right! It might be “boring” because you feel you’re not strong enough, or you just aimlessly fling some 2kg dumbbells around but have really no idea what you’re doing.
Here I thought I’d give you 10 reasons WHY everyone should weight train, no matter age, size or gender. (Obviously, if you have any health concerns please talk to your doctor before starting exercising.)
HOW to do it is a subject for another post.
But if you’re struggling to get your butt of to the gym, or dust of your exercise mat at home, hopefully this will inspire you to go.
1. It gives you stronger bones and reduces your risk for osteoporosis.
2. It helps you manage your weight. Muscles need more calories and the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn just by existing.
3. It reduces your risk of injury. Resistance training builds stronger connective tissues and increases joint stability. This acts as reinforcement for the joints and helps prevent injury.
4. It will help you loose fat faster than with just cardio.
5. It helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol.
6. It can strengthen your immune system.
7. It can make you smarter. Resistance training improves the brains cognitive function.
8. You will feel better. Strength training will release endorphins which is your ‘feel-good’ hormone.
9. It will reduce aches and pains, because more muscle will protect your joints.
10. It makes you stronger. (Duh!) That means that every physical task you perform in your daily life will get easier.
Are you out the door yet?
Note: I like my blog to be an informative and inspiring one with out information overload so I’ve chosen not to include a whole load of research studies here. But I didn’t just make these claims out of the blue, I can give links to studies that support all of the above if you so wish.