Last weeks post made me think about other things I’m to old for now that I’m getting closer to 40. Ok, so I have another year to go, but I am finally starting to feel like an adult. Silly, I know, when technically I’ve been an adult for 20 years, but I think I’m not alone in wondering when I would feel like an adult. (I still to this day sometimes catch myself wondering how I ended up married with kids! What a grown-up thing to do!)
But through the years there have been instances that have made me think, “No, I’m not doing that anymore” So maybe now I am a grown up now after all. So here’s what I’ve come up with so far that I’m now to old for.
- Drinking more than I can handle. And subsequently getting a hangover. Long gone are the days when I would strive to get drunk and almost brag about the hangover the next day. Nowadays I rarely drink more than a glass of wine or two, but if I do happen to drink more than I should have, I’m so embarrassed and I feel stupid for not knowing any better.
- Clubbing. Seriously, You can not hear anyone else talk, it’s to crowded and loud. I would much rather be at home. ( My God, I sound old! even I hear it!)
- Staying up late. I am a lark, I love early mornings, so why I would stay awake after midnight is beyond me. A late night for me is past 10pm. Late nights are just not worth it anymore.
- FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. Something the youth worry far to much about. Social media plays a huge role in making people think that they are missing all the fun and everyone else are having such amazing lives and so much fun. Honestly, I don’t care. I’m probably missing something somewhere, but I’m happy with my choice and I don’t worry about what I might be missing.
- Caring what other people think. Obviously that doesn’t mean I’m acting like an b**ch. I’m a nice person. I know this, the people close to me know this and everyone else, well, it doesn’t really matter what everyone else thinks. I do work a lot on this because I care more than I’d like to admit, what people think of me, but I really don’t want to, so it’s work in progress. I think I’m a nice person, but I’m not going to waste all my energy convincing everyone of this fact. At least not the people that don’t really matter to me. (writing this blog is a big part of me working on this. It’s hard to put stuff about myself out there in the blogosphere, but I do it anyway. I write because I want to and I work on myself not to worry what other people think of me and my writing.)
- Being bitter. Nope. Again, I work on this, but it really, really is an energy waster and time suck which does no good, so I’m striving to just deal with it and move on.
- Doing things I really don’t want to do. For example; I tried for years to watch horror films and be ok with it because my other half loves them. But I have now stopped because I really, really don’t like them. They give me nightmares and I don’t enjoy the film because they mess with my head. Another thing; I am never running a marathon. Nope, it’s not on my bucket list. Complete waste of time (in my opinion) There are much more fun ways to exercise than running for miles and miles and miles and miles….
- Not liking myself. Look, I spent years disagreeing with myself, about who I should be, what I should look like, what I should do. But that’s no way to go through life. After depression and therapy and a with a lot of work on my mindset I’ve managed to find peace with myself and in my body. I like everything about me. I’m not saying I am perfect, I’ve said it before; I don’t believe in perfect, and I don’t strive to be perfect, I do strive to be a better me, though. Working on myself and simultaneously being happy with who I am are not opposites. I’m trying to be the best me I can be every day, physically and mentally. Being a better person, a better you is something we should all strive for but there’s no point in hating yourself or disliking yourself on the way there.
So that’s it. There are probably more things if I think long and hard. Do you have anything that you would like to add to the list? Let me know!